Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Oppression

In follow up to my last entry, Band-Aids, I'd like to share with you a piece I wrote a few months ago. Based upon a conversation between two news reporters in the movie, Hotel Rwanda, I created my own interpretation of the event.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
- Edmund Burke


oppression, a portrait


blackberry cobbler bubbles in the oven

while the tv babbles in the background.

the five o’clock news

is a blur of

weatherreportssportshighlightspoliticalpollsnationalinvestigationsandeconomicpredictions.

24imagesflash per second

soundbitescap at 7 seconds

and in 1 second

a talking head broadcasts

GENOCIDEinRWANDA!

“my God, that’s awful,” i murmur to my husband.

i turn away, inhale my steak, and savor another bite.

No comments:

Post a Comment